Desert Palms treats only a small number of individuals at one time. This provides a secure and caring environment in which they feel safe about being honest about the challenges they face. Treating only a small number of people at any given time also allows us to offer one of the most generous staff-to-patient ratios in the country for a recovery program. Our expert staff can get to know you and create a personalized treatment program designed to meet your specific needs.
We create a unique treatment plan for each individual. Treatment plans integrate evidence-based therapies, medical, psychological, holistic and spiritual approaches, including physical fitness and nutrition. At the same time, there are some common elements to each person's treatment plan, including at least two psychotherapy sessions each week, as well as group therapy and patient education sessions.
Before an individual can begin the work towards recovery, it is essential that the body is cleared of all addictive substances. If detox is required, our experienced staff will support you through this important treatment phase. Detoxification is a different experience for each person. Depending on the substances used, the body responds to those substances differently.
Upon arrival at Desert Palms, we will contact members of your family to let them know that you have arrived safely. We will assign you to a room, place your personal belongings in your room, and introduce you to your suite mates. Within a few days of your arrival, you will typically:
- Meet with your primary therapist so they can get acquainted with you
- Provide orientation and review your preliminary schedule
- Begin individual therapy
- Begin group therapy
- Begin group education classes
- Design a personalized treatment plan with primary therapist
From the moment you arrive we begin preparing you for a successful discharge. While we want you to remain with us for as long as you need, your primary therapist and the clinical team will be focused on ensuring that you be will able to lead a happy, productive and sober life long after you leave. This means your treatment is geared toward preparing you to stay sober and make a smooth transition from treatment to the real world. We do this in a number of ways, including:
- Independence - We work together to identify what each client needs to stay sober following your time at Desert Palms. The team will help you understand situations or experiences that trigger your desire to use alcohol and drugs, and arm you with the strategies to avoid it.
- Support - We develop the tools and insights needed to avoid using addictive substances again, especially during those moments when you are most vulnerable. These tools include gaining insights about yourself, the ability to sense and avoid risky situations, and recognizing your responsibility for yourself and your actions. We will also help you learn to remain open and rely on friends, family, 12-Step groups, spirituality, religion and other strategies that can provide the strength you need.
- Family Support - We will work with you and your family to help ensure that you return home with the right kind of support from your family and other loved ones. We can also help you realize how you may have undermined your family's trust in the past, and how you can regain it through sober behaviors and open communication.
- Communication - Continued communication with mental health professionals, religious or spiritual leaders in your local community will provide you with good support after you leave Desert Palms.
Desert Palms believes that residential treatment is only the start of your recovery process. Continuing care is essential in the treatment process. Within the assessment phase of your treatment, our team will take into account continuing care after discharge. This intensive outpatient program (IOP) is a treatment and support program that allows you to understand your disease and provides you with the techniques required to cope with your addiction. Additionally, we will educate you about the support system that is in place to prevent a relapse and continue on the path of sobriety.
We encourage you to include family members in your treatment and we will make it easy for you to do so. Your struggle with substance abuse is a major challenge not only for you, but also for your family and others loved ones. Therapy sessions with family members can help you-and them-understand the roots of your addiction, the ways in which your family life must change, the triggers that make you vulnerable to drugs or alcohol and the type of support you will need as you move forward in sobriety. You will also learn to connect with your family in new ways that allow them to become your allies and supporters in recovery. If family members live nearby or can travel to Desert Palms, they can join you for therapy sessions at our facility. If they live far away or are unable to travel, they can still participate in your recovery via conference call or video- conferencing.
Your individual treatment plan will draw from a number of therapies that speak to your unique needs and circumstances. Each treatment plan will combine all or some of the following:
- On-site detoxification services provided by ASAM certified physicians.
- Group Therapy Sessions [grief and loss, resolving trauma, managing anger, stress, relapse prevention]
- Group Education Classes
- Voluntary religious worship and spiritual support
- Physical fitness and leisure activities
- Meditation and mindfulness
An evidenced-based approach uses psychological approaches and techniques that are based on scientific evidence. They are proven techniques and therapies that provide patients with the tools and support needed to enjoy life in long-term recovery. The treatment programs and modalities offered at Desert Palms include:
- CRAFT Model of Family Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Seeking Safety for Trauma Resolution
We respect your beliefs and the beliefs of every other person who comes through our doors. We encourage you to include the belief that a higher power can help you recover, and to draw on it as a source of strength after you leave Desert Palms.
Physical fitness will be an important part of your treatment plan. You can participate in cardiovascular exercise as well as other activities. Exercise improves your mood, reduces worry and anxiety, strengthens your self-esteem and provides you with greater physical and emotional energy. It will also help you succeed in your lifelong strategy to stay sober, healthy and happy.
With the permission of your primary therapist, you may receive letters, packages and emails. This privilege is not unlimited and must be used thoughtfully. We are fully committed to the success of your treatment; therefore, we want to help you remain as free as possible from external distractions as you work on your recovery.