Before You Leave
- Notify Your Employer
In some cases, federal law recognizes addiction as a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Family and Medical Leave Act may protect your job and insurance if you're absent from work to receive addiction treatment. Call our care advocates to learn more about this legislation and find out if it applies to your employment situation.
Tell your employer that you'll need to take medical leave and how long you will be out of work, but remember that you aren't required to disclose the reason why. You have a right to privacy regarding medical issues, and employers are required by law to keep your situation confidential.
- Arrange Child and/or Pet Care
Talk to your trusted loved ones about their availability to care for your child or children. Your kids will likely want familiar, comforting faces around while you're in treatment. If your child has any programs, events or appointments in the upcoming month, be sure to arrange plans for those obligations as well.
If you have pets, you may ask friends and/or loved ones to see if they can care for them temporarily while you are receiving treatment. If not, there are many pet boarding options in every state.
The person or people caring for your dependents should have contact information for our facility so they can stay in touch. And remember: when you help yourself recover, you're helping your dependents, too!
- Make Financial Arrangements
If you're anticipating bills to be due while you're gone, make those payments before your first day at our facility. You can also opt in to automatic billing for your rent/mortgage payment, utilities, cell phone or other monthly bills so you don't have to worry about late payments during treatment.
You may also consider asking a trustworthy loved one to pay bills for you if you'd rather not have money automatically taken from your accounts. Give this person your online banking information or any other account details they may need to make payments if you decide to go this route.
What to Bring for Your Stay
We recommend that you bring about a week's worth of comfortable clothing. Please do not bring more than two suitcases. If you bring more than two, we will ship your extra items home at your expense. Sunspire Health Texas provides laundry rooms and detergent for you to do your wash on-site.
- Comfortable shirts, pants and/or shorts
- Pajamas or other modest sleepwear
- Sneakers and flip flops
- Durable, closed-toe footwear for equine therapy
- Warm coat, hat and gloves for equine therapy in winter months
- Light jacket and/or raincoat
- Gym clothing for exercise and outdoor activities
- Swimsuit for pool time from May-September (one pieces or tankinis for women; no Speedos for men)
Personal Hygiene Products
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Shaving supplies
- Nail clippers
- Blow dryer, if necessary
- Feminine products, if applicable
- License or photo ID
- Insurance cards, including medical, dental and vision
- Prescription card
- List of all current medications and any known allergies to medications
- Discharge instructions from hospital or another facility, if applicable
- Protection from Abuse documents, if applicable
- Labeled prescription medication*
- Writing materials and stamps to send mail
- Enough cigarettes for your stay, if applicable (these cannot be purchased during treatment)
- Travel alarm clock without radio
- No more than $100 in spending money
*Labeled prescription medications will be inspected by staff upon arrival and kept at the facility's nursing station for your access during designated medication times.
Do Not Pack
- Any item containing drugs or alcohol (including hygiene products and kombucha)
- Cigars, pipes or vaporizers
- Sexual paraphernalia or pornography
- Gambling items, like dice, cards or chips
- Weapons of any kind, including pocket knives
- Over-the-counter medications (unless prescribed)
- Any aerosol product
- Clothing that's revealing or has drug, alcohol or sexual themes
- Valuables or large sums of cash
- Chewing gum
- Electronic items with WiFi capability
- Cameras (including devices with built-in cameras)
Traveling to Treatment
We want you to be as relaxed as possible when you arrive at Sunspire Health Texas to begin your course of care. So if you need help getting to the facility, we're happy to assist with your arrangements.
Visit our Finding Us page to learn more about how to travel for treatment.